Friday, April 6, 2012

THE HUNGER GAMES!

Going to try my absolute best to be spoiler free !

AHHH! The Hunger Games! So friken popular-- and for good reason. Truth be told, I am a sucker for a book series. I love reading in general actually, so I am always up for reading recommended books.

A friend of mine mentioned the hunger games last year sometime, and I asked what it was about and she couldn't tell me lol. She said it wasn't fantasy or anything like though. It really isn't. It is more... real... here, and now. More about that later though. Anyway, I said I might give it a shot and never got around to reading it. Then the movie came out... and people have been obsessed. The thing is, I am absolutely positive that most of the people doing youtube tutorials and talking about movie didn't actually read the book lol. I didn't want to be like them. So I decided to read them. I went through them pretty fast: 3 books in 3 days. It was an amazing series.

So what is it really? What genre does it fit into? Well, definitely teen. It is an easy read (obviously as I read them quite quickly. House of night was even faster though). That means the language is simple, and clear. Nothing too detailed etc. But the plot..ahh the plot.. I was shocked. I couldn't believe that this is what it was. At first glace, I felt it was a lot like the short story "the lottery." Still, from the start, I knew what would happen- revolution (it was the only way to go). It is such a political book. Incredibly political. Literally.. those in power were absolutely disgusting, and it needed to be taken back. The people wanted it back, and needed it back. Underlying the story is a love triangle. I hated that aspect. WAYYY to twilight for my liking. Plus, with the trouble Katness gave one guy... the addition of a 2nd was unnecessary. I guess it was a good way to drive us a little crazy... because if she didn't choose ****** I would have gone MAD!

Anyway, things went the way I thought they would, and I was very happy. All in all it is a really good and fun read. Well... maybe not fun. I felt very uncomfortable for most of the first book (it was also a little boring until the last 3rd) with good reason. The actual hunger games is a disgusting process. It is absolutely horrible. Morals  become gray.. it is just horrible. That is part of what makes the books so awesome though. The edge, the controversy, and the inner turmoil. I have to wonder how much more amazing it could have been if it weren't written for teens. I'll never know though :( I still greatly enjoyed it. Nothing wrong with teen. I mean, I am in loveee with Harry Potter.. which started off as a children's books (though anyone who reads it will see the drastic changes in writing style and tone in later books... the books grew with the audience). I love HP sooo much. Opps... Hunger games post lol. I am not sure if HG is a fav, but I still liked it a lot! Now, I just need to see the movie!!!

Ps: There has been some horrible controversy behind the movie. I should say despicable because the true colours of many despicable people out there has been shown. It really saddens me. Humans are meant to be progressing forward as a race.. and yet... there are people out there who truly don't deserve to be apart of humanity. To those horribly and unbelievably racist comments, I say: 1. Have you no reading comprehension skills? I mean, seriously, the book gives a clear description of Rue. If anything she doesn't fit it because the Actress is hardly "very, very dark." 2. Even if you have decent comprehension skills, why are you so angry that an awesome character does not have the skin colour you expected? Should it matter? Better questions: Why are you such a disgusting piece of elephant crap (mixed with hippo throw up)? Sigh. I truly, sometimes, forget that it is an assumption to believe that, just because I see beyond something so minor as how much melanin one has, the rest of the world has caught up....

Cheers
- Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment